Skip links

Our History.

Home  /  Our History

August 1852.

Order to construct train line from Wigan to Southport. The Court of Queen’s Bench issued a mandamus to the directors who were then compelled to construct a line from Wigan to Southport.

April 1855.

Opening ceremony took place with over 400 guests. The train was gaily decorated and was full of directors and railway officials.

April 1855.

Initially, only six stations were built along this line from Wigan to Southport which included Gathurst, Appley Bridge, Newburgh (for Parbold), New Lane, Bescar Lane and Burscough Bridge.


The old Burscough Bridge Station House closed however the line to Burscough junction is still active today.


Work began on converting the old run-down Station House into what would become Station House Nursery School as we see it today.


With renovations finished the old Station House has been transformed into the Station House Nursery School.